Businesses often ask us about filing a lawsuit, and we usually counsel them to consider the following steps prior to filing suit:
- Have you tried to settle the matter? Sometimes a threatening letter from a law firm or a “draft” lawsuit is enough to bring the matter to closure.
- Evaluate whether you have a solid case. Don’t be emotional.
- Do you have the right evidence and witnesses to support your claims?
- Balance the cost of prosecuting your case versus a realistic outcome.
- Even if you “win,” can you collect your judgment?
- Consider if the defendant might file a counterclaim against you.
When litigation is necessary and appropriate, Davis Law, PLC works with clients to put together a realistic litigation plan with the goal of achieving big results.